Flea Market Desk Made New

One of my hobbies that I’ve really begun to enjoy is finding old furniture that is still in good condition and breathing new life in it.  Matt and I found this desk at a flea market a couple weeks ago and I just fell in love with it.  The top was pretty scratched up and it needed a little loving but nothing too serious.

I lightly sanded it with #220 grit sandpaper.  You will probably remember my General Finishes Java Gel Stain from other projects in my house.  This stuff goes a long way so I had plenty left over from the last job.  You will always need gloves to protect your hands when using this stain unless you want stained hands for a couple days. 🙂  I also used an old sock for the actual staining.  I like using old socks rather than an old rag because I can just slide it over my hand and it protects my arm as well:  however, a rag would work just as well.  I used painter’s tape to tape off the back side of the drawer faces.  I also like to have some paper towels or a sponge or rag of some sort to use for any clean up needs.

DSCN7192

 

 

 

 

I only used one coat of stain on this desk because I liked the color with only one coat.  Lastly, I used an old sock to cover the desk with Waverly Antique Wax to seal in the stain.  I found this stain at Walmart in the craft aisle.  I’ve been really impressed with this stuff so far!

Waverly Antique Wax

 

 

 

 

 

I want to do something with the knobs, but I haven’t decided what to do yet so I just put the originals back on.  I am so so happy with the results!  This little beauty is sitting in my son’s room, but I really want to steal it back and use it for myself. ♥  🙂

 

DSCN9068

Before

IMG_0407

After

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The purple chairs in the background of the before picture is another project I’ve been working on.  Stay tuned to see how they turn out! 🙂

2 thoughts on “Flea Market Desk Made New

  1. We remolded our kitchen a few years ago and bought cabinets from someone that had them in storage for a project they never completed. The were still in the raw wood state and had a little water damage on the bottom. I decided I wanted to try and finish them myself. I had never done anything like that before and I am not creative or crafty at all.. I took me awhile as I mostly had to work on it on weekends but I discovered I LOVED it. I loved the feel of the wood.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s